Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bon Voyage!

Ship

Alas, not me. My sister and her DH are going with my parents on a cruise. So I’ve been helping mom get prepared so we took a trip to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things.

On the list was a bag to carry to the pool. We looked at the ‘beach bags’ and they were huge! Now mom is 83 (sorry mom) and about the size of a button. She didn’t need to fit into the bag just use it for her sunscreen lotion, book, tissues and the like. It also has to fit into her luggage without taking up too much room. We couldn’t find anything suitable.

So it looked like we had failed on our mission. Until we approached the check-outs and what did I see? Only a rack of the latest in spring fashion pool side bags! For a mere 97 cents and with a few modifications that is.

100_2869

I removed the handles and unpicked the seam binding down the sides. Cropped the side and end panels by a few inches removing the ‘Wal-Mart’ logo (sorry Wal-Mart).  Saved a couple of inches of top pieces that I had cut off and ironed on some interfacing to stiffen them up.  Stitched them back on inside the top of each side with some yellow seam binding (that I had on hand, yeah!).  Added a small strip of Velcro for a closure.  Then sewed the seam bindings back up on the four corners and sewed the handles back on spreading them out a bit.

Voila! Presenting the latest in pool side bag fashion. It is super light weight and folds flat as a file folder. Women will be scrambling to find them in fashion boutiques for their cruise wear accessories -  don’t you think?

100_2876

I hope some of you are lucky enough to get away for March break,

DIANE

3 comments:

Pat said...

You did a GREAT job on that bag!!! I may have to see if our Walmart has them and I can alter one in the same manner you did. Sorry you aren't going on the cruise...... *sigh*....but I'm not going on one, either, if that makes you feel any better. LOL

Sue-Anne said...

What a fantastic idea! You have done a great job and I bet your mum loves it!

Cindy said...

And POOF - you Mom has a hot fashion statement to take with her. Way to go, Diane.

On March 26, we're just headed down to Yuma, AZ for a couple nights camping. Taking the grandkids to see an airshow at the Marine base.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...