Tuesday, July 06, 2010

For My Sister

100_3313My sister is a breast cancer survivor.  When she was having surgeries,  treatments, travelling back and forth spending the countless hours it takes to fight this insidious disease I needed a way to focus love and positive energy towards her.  What better way to do that than to make a quilt.

 

 

 

100_3307

In my stash I had an array of beautiful oriental fabrics that were just waiting to be used.  I made two kimonos of each fabric. 

 

 

 

100_3309

The fabric obi on each kimono are different.   I made these ‘three dimensional’ by making an enclosed tube with a fold lengthwise in each.  They are attached to the kimonos just at the sides.   This quilt was machine quilted on all the straight seam lines.

 

Last weekend I was finally able to get some pictures of this quilt to share with you.  It was good to see it again and to be able to spend time with my sister – priceless!

I hope you are all  having a wonderful summer,

Diane

13 comments:

Terry said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I'm sure she loves it! :0)

Michelle said...

That's a beautiful quilt! Especially for the reason and purpose it was made. I'm sure it has brought you and your sister lots of comfort!

Pat said...

What a beautiful quilt and I'm sure your sister will treasure it!

Barb said...

This is absolutely beautiful! This will be a treasure for both of you! I will add your sister to my prayers and both of you in my daily thoughts. Your work is wonderful!

Barb said...

Your quilt turned out sooo beautiful,,,,,just love those fabrics. Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery for your sister.

Ethne said...

What a lovely quilt Diane - I'm sure she loves it and I hope she's well on the road to recovery

Sue-Anne said...

A beautiful quilt to symbolise the love you share. I am so pleased she has survived this dreadful disease.

Brandie said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt gift. I think a quilt says so much.

Quilted Quickies said...

What an awesome quilt!! I'm so glad that your sister beat this horrible disease!! What a wonderful way to say you love your sister.

Karen said...

A very special quilt Diane, a gift of love. Wishing you a wonderful summer too!

Jenny said...

What a treasure for your sister, as I am sure she is a treasure to you - just beautiful!! I have never seen a Kimono quilt before, it's just lovely!! and great for an oriental stash (hmmm, I just happen to have one of those - yay!!) Thanks for sharing this special quilt with us!

Wendy B said...

Wonderful Diane, never thought of a kimono quilt before but it works beautifully! I'm trying to design one to celebrate my mum's passing to the dreaded 'C'...21 years this year. Thanks for dropping by my blog.
Sugary hugs XX WendyB :O)

Trish said...

Diane, What a lovely way to comfort your sister. A beautiful quilt to warm and comfort her, all filled with your love and positive energy which I'm sure helped her to be a survivor. You are such a wonderful sister !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...