Saturday, January 22, 2011

Playing with Appliqué

100_3965

After a few weeks of spending time, including six hours of instruction, on my new Husqvarna Sapphire I’m really starting to get the hang of it.  I made this 20”x 20” flimsy so I could try appliqué for the first time.100_3987

I used the Best Buddies cat and dog patterns from the free patterns page at This n That Fabrics.  There are many fun patterns there so be sure to check them out.100_3991

After blanket stitching with brown Aurifil thread around the pieces I’m really pleased with the final result.  100_3984

Next I’ll try some machine quilting and bind my little quilt in the red fabric of the heart.

dividerbar

51ehD8hMhqL

 I just bought this book. These quilt patterns were inspired by the diary kept by a young woman during the Civil War. There are family photographs and interesting daily life diary entries to read as well as fourteen patterns. Kathleen Tracy, the author, has a wonderful blog A Sentimental Quilter.  I really admire her miniature quilts and can’t wait to try out some of her patterns.

This week I go to the last two hours of instructional classes that were included with the purchase of my sewing machine.  We will be covering heirloom sewing and appliqué techniques. These classes have been a great introduction to the ‘ins and outs’ of my machine and have given me a wonderful starting off point. I have thoroughly enjoyed them,  the first I have ever attended at a quilt shop. They have inspired me to take advantage of the many great classes these shops provide.

I hope you are also able to spend some creative time with your sewing machine the week.

In Friendship,

Diane

9 comments:

Sunnybec said...

Your applique looks fabulous Diane, really pleased you are enjoying your new machine. Going to have a look at Kathleen's website....and that book! Linda

Linda said...

Hi I love what you are appliquing. What fun. Thanks for the info on free patterns.

Barb said...

Your applique is adorable...

QuiltSue said...

What a wonderful quilt, your applique is brilliant - I can not do machine applique to save my life, and am envious of those of you who can.

Madame Samm said...

HI Diane..keep playing...blogger update ...still not working...love the orange btw..my fav color for blogs...love your new wee quilt

Brandie said...

The fuzzy kids are too cute on this quilt! How heart warming.
That little quilt, looks to be the perfect size to make those orange peel shapes. That I could and would do.

Jen said...

Great job on the applique! Have fun with your book, I've loved that book forever. It's on my list of books to buy soon. The patterns in there are so beautiful, every time I see one, I fall in love with them all over again.

Jenni said...

That rabbit and cat on your quilt are so adorable! The rabbit reminds me of these soft rabbits my sister used to make...And I am so excited for you that you got a new sewing machine! That is so fun, and how cool to get free sewing lessons included as well! :)

I think I am going to have to buy a new machine soon, too. It is developing some bad habits...My sewing machine keeps knotting underneath where the bobbin is, when I try to sew. So everything takes a long, long time! Have you ever had consistent problems with this?

I hope you are having a great week! And thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment on the "featuring you" post! :)

Blessings,
Jenni

andsewon said...

Your applique is adorable! I am sure you are enjoying that new GEM for sure!A friend has one and she loves it.
Hugs,
Lola

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...