Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Great Blade Deal & Scone Recipe

 

100_5345

In September I found myself in need of a new blade for my Olfa rotary cutter.  I went to Michael’s and was absolutely shocked to find the price for ONE blade $16.99!!!!  (Canadian dollars)  Now with our 13% tax that brought the total price to $19.20 for ONE blade.  Too much for me.

I remembered my friend Linda over in France had ordered blades from the U.S. that were carpet cutter blades being sold to quilters.   She was happy with them and they fit her Olfa cutter.   So I too ordered from Moonwishes Sewing and Crafts.

3 pkgs 45 mm Rotary Cutting Blades 2 per pack @ $11.99 U.S.

Shipping $3.00 (Regular shipping)

Total $14.99 U.S.   Payment through Paypal

Worked for me!  Great service and prompt delivery. Thanks Moonwishes.

beeln1a

For the past two weekends I’ve made the Quick Cinnamon Rolls I posted about here.  So for a change this weekend I made the following recipe for scones.  With tea and homemade apricot jam – delicious.

Scones

Ingredients               Preheat Oven to 425F

2 cups  all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, diced
1 egg
2/3 cup milk or light cream
Preparation

In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture is about the size of peas with some larger pieces.

In a small bowl, beat egg lightly; remove about 1 tablespoon100_5366 of beaten egg and reserve for topping. To remaining egg, add milk; add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring with fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.  Gather gently into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead very lightly a few times until smooth. Roll out dough to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. Using 2-inch/5 cm round cutter, cut out circles or cut into eight wedges. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.  Brush tops of scones lightly with reserved egg.

Bake in centre of 425 F oven until tops are light golden, 12 to 14 minutes.

100_5374

beeln1a

It appears that Kaaren from the Painted Quilt has received the quilts that Allie collected blocks for and beautifully assembled – great job Allie!  To read Kaaren’s wonderfully heart felt post please go here.

Keeping all of you who need them – in my thoughts and prayers,

Diane

11 comments:

Sheila said...

Thanks for the scone recipe , that looks delicious and I will definitely be trying those real soon. I can't believe the cost of the blade , wow that is horrid , I buy mine at Lee Valley at $4.50 I believe it is and they work great , bought the rotary cutter there too and it has a really great shape .I read the post from Kaaren and it brought tears to my eyes , so heart warming .
hugs Sheila

Sheila said...

I forgot to mention how much I love your header ,that is a stunning photo did you take it?

Sunnybec said...

This was so funny I was reading your blog and thinking "hey I use those blades"...then I saw whose blog it was duh. I can't help it I am getting old.......You make your scones different to me. Hugs xxx

Allie said...

I get my blades from Harbor Freight here in the US, they're also called carpet cutters and are a dollar a blade...not too shabby! I can't believe the cost of them in the quilt shops. Your scones look lovely. Thanks for the note about Kaaren's quilts!

Linda said...

OMG! Diane, I just ordered 5 blades for my rotary cutter 45mm for 14.95 and no shipping out of the USA. It's called the sewingpalace. Free shipping on the blades. WOO HOO!!The blades only took a week to arrive here in southern Ontario.

Janet O. said...

Thanks for the heads up on the blades. I knew someone had recently told me another source for cheaper blades, but couldn't recall what it was. This looks great! And so do the scones. Yumm!! Love scones. Thanks for this recipe.

Barb said...

Wow that is expensive!

Pondside said...

Thanks for visiting - it gave me a chance to come over and have a peak at your blog - I'll be back!

Peg said...

Good buy on the blades - if you can find them in a hardware store in the US (if you're close enough to go across the border), they're even better price! We buy them at Marine Hardware here in Washington State, just a 1.5 hour drive from home! Thanks for the scone recipe - will have to try that!

taylorsoutback said...

That is a great find on those rotary blades...keep us posted on how you like working with them. I agree - prices are skyrocketing. The price of a good quality spool of cotton thread would put a very nice lunch on my table.

Your scones look delicious!

Connie said...

I use these blades also and really like them. Your scones look delicious!
Quilting by the River

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...