Saturday, October 08, 2011

Quick Cinnamon Rolls – Yummy!

Yesterday I whipped up a batch of these to enjoy this Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.   They are quick and easy and oh so good with a cup of coffee.  Here’s the recipe for you…100_5328

Quick Cinnamon Rolls (From Homemaker’s Magazine)

For homey satisfaction with a lot less bother than yeast-raised cinnamon buns, these are the quick-and-easy answer. Shortening makes the dough very easy to handle as well as flaky and tender; you could use butter or half of each, if preferred.

Ingredients
2/3 cups  (150 mL)  packed brown sugar
1/4 cup  (50 mL)  melted butter
1 tsp  (5 mL)  cinnamon
1/3 cup  (75 mL)  raisins
2 cups  (500 mL)  all-purpose flour
2 tbsp  (25 mL)  granulated sugar
4 tsp  (20 mL)  baking powder
1 tsp  (5 mL)  salt
1/2 cup  (125 mL)  shortening (or butter if desired)
3/4 cups  (175 mL)  milk
Icing (see below)
Preparation

In small bowl mix together brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and raisins; set aside.

In large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt; mix thoroughly. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk all at once, stirring quickly with fork to make a soft, slightly sticky, dough; don't over mix.

Turn out onto lightly floured surface, gather into ball and knead lightly for about 10 minutes. Roll out dough to 10-inch (25cm) square. Spread raisin filling evenly over dough. Roll up, pinch edge to seal.

100_5324

With sharp knife, cut dough into 9 slices. Place in greased 8-inch square (2L) baking pan. Bake in 425F (220C) oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Let stand about 3 minutes, then turn out onto rack. Glaze or drizzle with icing if desired.
Icing: For glaze, mix together 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla. Spoon over top of hot rolls, using back of spoon to coat evenly. Let cool slightly; serve warm. For drizzle, increase icing sugar to 3/4 cup (175 mL). Let rolls cool until just warm: drizzle icing over tops.

Cooking Time
15-18 Minutes    Makes 9    Enjoy!

WinterBranch2We have been blessed with warm sunny weather here while we  gather with family and friends.   As well as getting outside to tackle all the yard work before the snow flies (yikes! did I just say that?)

100_5337

I can’t show anything on the quilting front as I’ve only been working on Christmas presents. So I’ll leave you with a picture of my garden bench and invite you to join me for a cinnamon roll and a sit in the shade.

lens2285443_1238894638borders-and-dividers 

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians and may all of you have a safe and happy weekend,

Diane

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

So with no yeast in the recipe I gather this is kind of a biscuit dough cinnamon roll. I think I have had them once many years ago and they were very good. I like that it doesn't make a huge pan--I won't be tempted to eat as many! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll give it a try.

Sunnybec said...

Mmmm sounds yummy. How I wish I could just pop over and sit with you on that bench... xxx

Barb said...

That does sound easy, it takes me about 4 hours to make my cinnamon rolls...thanks, I will try this.

Michelle said...

Happy Thanksgiving! The rolls look yummy! Enjoy!

Cindy Adkins said...

Mmmmm, these look yummy!!!
XO
Cindy

Joanne said...

Thanks for the recipe! I tried them this morning and everyone loved them.

Joanna said...

Thank you for the recipe! I tried it by prepping it last night them putting it all together this morning! So good and speedy! Also did a browned butter frosting-Yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...