Sunday, April 08, 2012

Spring Bouquet

A finish!   A sweet 15” square wall hanging to welcome Spring.   The free stitchery pattern can be found at French Knots along with oodles of others.   Thank you, French Knots.

a

    The flowers are stitched in colours to match the border fabric.

100_6049

A little free motion quilting to make the flowers ‘pop’ and stitch in the ditch, of course.

000_0001-1

For fun I used a pattern from this book to quilt the border.  

ss

I was quite happy with how it turned out.   This was my first attempt at quilting over a paper pattern.    Borders are hard for me to know what to do with.  I don’t do FMQ often enough to get any good at it so I liked this alternative. 

100_6055

sdsd

family

I also just have to share this photo that I found online while doing some family research.   These are my great grandparents and their children.   My maternal grandmother is standing on the  right.    This photo was taken circa 1905.   Gramma was 100 when she died in 1994.    Wish I had inherited the hair!!!

 sdsd

Thank you for stopping by!  

Diane

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a beautiful little piece you've made, Diane.
I think your quilting looks great. I never seen quilting done over the paper like that. Does it just tear away like foundation piecing? Very interesting.
That photo is priceless. A family treasure.
Gotta love the hairstyles on the young women. However did they do that? : )

Sunnybec said...

Really pretty little hanging. I love how you have done your quilting, it's something I am going to have a go at. Your family look very "posh" LOL xx

Barb said...

I just love your pattern!!

Cyndi said...

Oh Diane, I love your little quilt. Your stitching is so pretty, and your quilting turned out wonderfully! I have seen those paper patterns are JoAnn's and have thought about purchasing some, but I'm a big chicken! LOL!

I also love the photo of your family. How cool that you were able to find it on-line! I love looking at old photos, whether I know the people or not. Such a sense of history in each one!

Have a great week, sweet friend!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely stitching Diane and just perfect for Spring. I love your Family Photo...how wonderful to have it.

Michelle said...

Very cute little mini! And you did great on the quilting!

Lyn said...

I love the spring flower quilt. I have never tried to quilt with the paper. Turned out so cute.

Jan said...

I love your page. Thank you for visiting my page. You are the first to sign in on my page that is outside of the US.

TexWisGirl said...

thanks for using the button and linking back to my anti-word verification post! really appreciate it! (i confess, though, i stole that button from another blogger a long time ago.) :)

Rose said...

I'm not sure how to e-mail you, so I am leaving this comment here. In March of this year, you received a gift of a Redwork project for your birthday. I was wondering if I could purchase the pattern and where. Love your blog.

Ivory Spring said...

What a darling quilt. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Catswhiskers said...

welcome Spring indeed.
Beautiful handwork.
Ohhh I don't know about the hair! I have a real good of grey hairs and I'll tell you that it not an easy job keeping it tidy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...