Monday, October 15, 2012

Paper Pieced Pear

Autumn Greetings, my friends.  I hope this finds you well.  It’s been awhile and it’s lovely to be back.

I recently challenged myself with a small paper pieced project.  It was done in four sections that were then sewn together.  When I say challenged myself I really mean it. 

100_6641

The pattern was from a 1996 McCall’s Quilting Magazine.

   A larger project called ‘Partridge In a Pear Tree’.

pppp

My little pear was the ‘practice’ piece. 

100_6675

I pulled all the fabrics from my stash and was thrilled that the raspberry colour  for the inner border and binding matched the colour found in the Thimbleberries greens.

100_6682

Labelling my quilts is not one of my favourite jobs.  So I used the freezer paper method to print off a few.  Then cut them into stripes, sewed into  ‘tubes’, turned right side out and pressed the seam to the centre back.  Then I machine stitched the two ends to the seam allowance of the quilt layers then when I had hand stitched my binding these ends where covered up.  There no hand sewing on a label.  Easy peasy.

100_6682

dividerprettyleaves

Paper piecing can certainly drive you mad but the results can be well worth it. 

Thanks for visiting,

Diane

6 comments:

Terry said...

Your pear is amazing! I really must learn to do paper piecing one of these days.

Sunnybec said...

Love the pear and as you know I am going to pinch your label idea I am all for anything easy! Hugs

Janet O. said...

I love this post on many levels, Diane. First--good to have you back! Second, love the little pear--so cute. Third, I am labeling a quilt today and I wish I had seen this method before--wonderful!
And fourth--I can relate on the paper piecing. Never been my favorite thing, and I just did those 4 Poor Lil' Punky pincushions using paper piecing last week. I almost did go crazy, but I love the results! : )

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful pear. It looks good enough to eat....great labelling idea too.

thethimbleroom said...

The pear looks amazing. Paper piecing may be frustrating at times, but the result is always worth it.

Joyful Quilter said...

Your little pear is very cute! I have a love/hate relationship with paper piecing. Each time paper piece I swear I'll never do it again...but there are soooo many cute paper pieced patterns. Oh well.

Love your idea for the quilt labels! Hope you don't mind if I steal it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...